Time to get your tickets, load up the car, and hit the road for a musical adventure! Whether it’s visiting the birthplace of your favorite musical, or discovering a new act in a lounge, there’s just something magical about great music. Here are four cities around the country that deserve a spot on any music lover’s vacation list.
1. Mason City, IA
While Mason City, IA, may not be as well-known as other music cities, fans of musicals know it most certainly has a home on this list. The award-winning show The Music Man was written by Mason City native Meredith Wilson, who used his hometown as inspiration for the setting of his most famous work.
- Why You’ll Love It: Take a trip back to the early 20th century by visiting the Music Man Square. Featuring set designs from The Music Man movie, you’ll feel like you’ve stepped back in time. Wrap up that day trip with an old school soda fountain and ice cream treat!
- Fun Fact: Mason City is home to the North Iowa Band Festival, which draws crowds of over 30,000 to see the best high school marching bands in the Midwest.
- Where to Stay: The Country Inn & Suites, Mason City, IA, offers a comfortable, convenient place to call your home away from home while in Mason City. Come back after a day exploring the town and get a good night’s rest in one of our plush guest beds.
2. Nashville, TN
No list of cities for music lovers would be complete without Music City. From the big stage at the Grand Ole Opry to any number of smaller venues on Broadway, there’s always great tunes to enjoy.
- Why You’ll Love It: There’s more to Nashville than country music. Even though it’s best known for music with a little twang, you can find plenty of spots for everything from hip-hop to hard rock in Nashville.
- Fun Fact: Appropriately enough, in 1941, Nashville became the first city in the U.S. to broadcast in FM.
- Where to Stay: Whether you want to stay in the heart of downtown or near the airport, there’s a Country Inn & Suites, Nashville, TN, hotel for you! Choose from any one of our six locations in the area for a relaxing stay.
3. Austin, TX
Deep in the heart of Texas, the capital city of Austin is a music lover’s dream. To fully appreciate Austin, bring your appetite along with your tickets and enjoy some classic Texas BBQ or brisket.
- Why You’ll Love It: Like big music festivals? Austin has you covered with the annual South by Southwest festival. Prefer something a little more low-key? Head to the Moody Theater where Austin City Limits is filmed.
- Fun Fact: Austin is home to nearly 200 venues for live music! It’s hard to suggest just one, but so easy to see why they call it the Live Music Capital of the World.
- Where To Stay: After a long day at a music festival, nothing will feel better than coming back to a welcoming hotel that provides all the comforts of home. Enjoy complimentary high-speed Internet access, a spacious guest room, and access to our pool area when you stay at one of our Country Inn & Suites, Austin, TX, locations.
4. Portland, OR
Take a trip out to the West Coast for a city that marches to its own beat. Portland certainly has a different rhythm, but there are notes for everyone. Great music, amazing food, and bicycles are all abound in downtown Portland.
- Why you’ll love it: If big music festivals are little too corporate, the indie music scene in Portland might be more your speed. There’s no shortage of unique venues in Portland. Mississippi Studios showcases artists from all over the world in a converted Baptist church, or sit outside and enjoy free live music on Sundays at Rontom’s.
- Fun Fact: In addition to outstanding places to see live music, Portland is also home to over 60 breweries. Enjoy some local flavor while you take in the tunes.
- Where to Stay: When you stay at our Country Inn & Suites, Portland, OR, location, don’t forget to enjoy a complimentary, delicious hot breakfast each day before you head out to explore the music scene!
Part of the beauty of live music is that you can find it just about anywhere all year long. Wherever you choose to enjoy the music, there’s a Country Inns & Suites hotel waiting for you.
Where are you looking forward to attending a concert this year? Let us know in the comments section below!